Day 1 of Hiking: “La Rocca,” More Lighting Woes and Harrison Ford

am exhausted. 


We started Day 1 of our hiking trip by driving east along the Tyrrhenian Sea to a small coastal town called Cefalu, which is known for its beauty and a very big rock a.k.a. “La Rocca,” located within its borders. There are seven other Americans with us, along with our Backroads guides Giovanni  (no relations to yesterday’s driver) and Ania.  While the town is absolutely gorgeous, our first hike could not be described as a “warm-up.” Besides the town’s beauty, we apparently came for the big rock. 


The hike descriptions we receive each day always look good on paper. Today, we had three hiking options, with the longest being about eight miles which promised at the end, beautiful views of the town and the sea. Since we had walked 11 miles on our first day in Palermo, we thought, “How hard could it be?”  We clearly didn’t look close enough at the height of that rock because too big a chunk of that eight miles was uphill with too many smaller rocks to either walk on or climb over on the path to the top.  As I ascended, even with a walking stick in-hand, I experienced my first fall, which was unfortunate for both my left hip and my long-suffering left shoulder. As falls go though, it was minor and now, it’s done with. I love these trips, but my thoughts vacillated between, “Could they have picked an easier hike for Day 1?” and “I’m just too old.” Tomorrow, I assume I will be doing the “jump down” step for any downhill hiking options as I believe I will not be able to bend my knees with any great fluidity. 


We finally got to our swanky hotel and upon entering our room, I sat down and couldn’t get up-until the investigation began on how to put on certain lights.  As part of its swankiness, our room has high-tech buttons all over that control some lights, but not all. For example, there was one button near the toilet (which is separate from the rest of the bathroom) but that, I found, was to move a small window shade up and down.  I saw a lightbulb in the ceiling so I knew that there had to be a switch somewhere.  But after 15 minutes, and a whole lot of grumbling on both our parts, regarding “Why does this have to be so hard?” we decided to rough it and just stay in the near-dark. At dinner, however, it became clear that we were not the only confounded couple. One of our fellow hikers said that, after a similar investigation, he realized that the light for the toilet was located near the bed, which by the way, is nowhere near the toilet. After returning from dinner, we tried it and eureka, there was light!  After such a hiking extravaganza, at least we wouldn’t have to be in the dark for the next two days! 


Although completely enthralling, figuring out our hotel lighting  was not the biggest news of the evening. Harrison Ford, at the age of 79, is filming his fifth Indiana Jones movie somewhere nearby and is staying at our hotel!  Apparently, we missed him in the bar by five minutes this evening.  The first thing that immediately crossed my mind after hearing this news was whether the film required him to climb “La Rocca?” If we see him tomorrow, we will know immediately by the way he is walking….


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joe Montana and the Bloody Weather

Thank You PBS: Our Bags are Packed!

Air Travel: It’s Every Man (Woman) for Himself!