Struggling with the “When in Rome” (Dublin) Concept: Days 1 and 2

Our travel adventure began where it usually does...Newark Liberty International Airport. It was a good day for us United travelers, as we were only about a half hour late, or as I like to think of it, “the new on-time.”  Apparently, I can deal with a bit of lateness much better then I can the misnomer, “Economy Plus.” As our flight to Dublin would be overnight, and as my sister and I are both in our 50’s, an age in which the maximum opportunity for slumber is optimal, we decided to pay a bit extra and get the “EconomyPlus.” seats.  What a waste. We did have a bit more leg room but I thought that my thighs and butt had significantly spread since arriving at the airport because the seats were so narrow and upon sitting, I barely had room to spare.  I also thought my arms had puffed up because the arm rests had become so thin. And no matter how many times you fold that white rectangle they call a pillow—you just can’t get comfortable. I tried to sleep by putting my head on the tray table (my frequently used last resort which can be successful if you don’t mind back pains for about 24 hours afterwards) but the thing was so flimsy, I thought it would break off.

On a positive note, my sister and I think we may have come up with a new idea for men’s travelwear that we could call, “flying shirts.”  We had three men sitting near us and all suffered from the same problem—they were wearing shirts that were way too short.  As a consequence, every time they went to get something out of the overhead compartment, a significant section of their hairy bellies showed—one man’s nearly thrusting into my sister’s face! This is not a good look, no matter how weary the traveler. With the percentage of men who fly and suffer from this malady, by introducing longer shirts, say, above the knee, I think we can make a bundle!

We landed in Dublin, tried to sleep a bit and then we were off on our St. Patrick walking tour. We learned a lot about his time in Dublin and the “walk” took us right through Temple Bar, (Dublin’s pub center) where thousands and thousands of “pilgrims” celebrated Ireland’s patron saint in a very different way than we were. Green beer, the ugliest green, white and orange hats you’ve ever seen and shamrocks located in every body part imaginable, seemed to be everywhere we turned. But the day was not as raucous as I had imagined.  We witnesssed some drunkenness and some loud singing-and not always in English or Gaelic.  That was pretty much it.  Of course, we were in our room by 9 pm, so who knows what happened after that? At breakfast this morning however, we did see a group of young lads grasping their cups of coffee, while faded shamrocks still remained on their faces.  Maybe we did miss a few things after all.

Comments

  1. Love, love, love... great idea for men's airplane shirts!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Joe Montana and the Bloody Weather

Dublin: A Brawl, An Arrest and Pat’s Excellent Adventure!

Air Travel: It’s Every Man (Woman) for Himself!