M & Ms, the Roman Empire and a Whole Lot of Good Food

Day 5: Orabic and the Island of Korcula

Today's agenda had our group traveling northwest along the coastline to a beautiful town called Orabic. From there, the plan was to begin hiking, stop for lunch at a family-run restaurant with beautiful views of the Adriatic, hike some more and then take a 15 minute boat ride to the Island of Korcula. Needless to say, it sounded like a full day.

Last night, our two young guides told us that the bus route along the coast was winding and that we should take precautions if we were inclined to get car/bus sick.  As I am so inclined, I took every measure imaginable not to embarrass myself amongst my new hiking friends.  Or so I thought.

I made sure I strategically placed myself at the beginning of the bus line so that I could sit directly behind our guides. I placed my "Sea Bands" perfectly against the pulses located on my wrists. And when one of the guides offered everyone candied ginger, I took a big piece, as I had read that ingestion of ginger can calm a nauseated stomach.

As we began our journey, I offered Bob my second pair of Sea Bands, but he said he didn't need them. An hour into the trip, I was feeling great but Bob, not so much. I immediately began foraging through my bag for the Sea Bands, but he said that was unnecessary. I then watched him go into his backpack and pull out a big bag of Peanut M & Ms and immediately proceeded to eat them. Because of my temperamental stomach, I have done quite a bit of research about what does and does not calm one that is ailing . But never have I read anything about M & Ms being a panacea for such an ailment--but Bob said it worked. Stand aside candy ginger.  Wait until the Mars Company hears about this newfound purpose to their product!

When we finally arrived, our guide told us that while the first part of the hike was uphill and rocky, the road was built centuries ago by the Romans. I guess she thought that that was a big selling point to us all as we looked up at what was ahead of us. As I climbed and the sweat began to pour off of me, I was scared to death that I was going to turn my ankle on the rocky path. And I started to get mad.  I thought to myself that in the 20 centuries since the fall of the Roman Empire, not one of the people who ruled this area thought about paving this road?? I think 2000 years made it a job long overdue!

I have to say that the people on this tour are wonderful. In just two days, both the guides and all of my fellow hikers have really bonded.  But make no mistake about it, in just two days, it is clear that there is a hiking hierarchy. Our "varsity " team is comprised of one guide, one couple and one 30+year old, all of whom are always in the front of the pack. Bob always starts out on the varsity team, but then slips back to the "JV" team, where I am, either because he feels badly because I'm so far behind or his calves are beginning to hurt. Either way, we spend most of the day deeply ensconced on this team--right in the middle of the pack. And then there's the rest of the crew, pulling up the rear, often walking with two sticks for balance. I am sure that they too are cursing the Romans and the other occupying people who couldn't spring for a little bit of tar. But God bless them, they keep plugging!  I think most of them have JV potential!

We had an incredible meal tonight at a farmhouse on the island with everything produced from the farm. It was nothing short of magical.  I may have to hike all the way home after eating so many wonderful meals.

We have to leave beautiful Korcula tomorrow--of course, after many hours of hiking and are headed to the Island of Hvar.  We were told we are starting with a hill....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joe Montana and the Bloody Weather

Dublin: A Brawl, An Arrest and Pat’s Excellent Adventure!

Air Travel: It’s Every Man (Woman) for Himself!