Frankfurt Airport: Stilts, Scarves and Security

Day 2: Frankfurt Airport

Except for the significant crick in my neck thanks to a 7 hour nighttime flight in coach, our flight from Newark to Frankfurt was uneventful. We arrived tired thanks to our less than fitful night's sleep, and were a bit apprehensive about our 6 1/2 layover.  I decided to make the best of it as we stood in our first of several "cues" (We're on this side of the pond, so I'm using the lingo) and decided to people-watch.

Two things immediately jumped out at me.  First, there are a lot of women wearing very high heels in an airport that can only be described as "city-like." My Fitbit was going nuts with all the walking we had to do just to get to our first--of many--security lines.  How is it that these women were getting from one point to another on stilts?!? I am in pain when I wear heels and have to walk from my office parking lot into the office, let alone an airport the size of Detroit!

Second, what's with all the scarves?  I adore a nice scarf, but for me, mine don't see the light of day until at least a couple of leaves have turned. I mean, IT'S AUGUST!  Maybe it's because I'm tired, but I had to stop myself from asking a couple of women, "Do you not like your neck?" "Do you have a bad cold?" "Are you an opera singer?" Fortunately, my sanity prevailed.

I cannot leave this airport without mentioning its security--and for me, the anxiety it produced. First, we had to go through "Border Control" twice, once when we arrived and another when we picked up our luggage--which had already been checked in Newark. How could we have become a security risk in such a short period of time?

The real nerve-wracking moment was when we had to go through the dreaded European security line--so much more strict than the fair-thee-well experience in Newark. It appeared to me that a prerequisite to working for airport security in Germany was never allowing yourself to smile. I saw no lips move beyond 180!degrees and this made me a bit nervous. As we approached the scanners, I immediately began to sweat--and I wasn't even wearing a scarf!  It was the dreaded clear plastic bag anxiety. Since having my mishap in June at London's Heathrow with a too-large plastic bag filled with my cosmetic essentials, I tried the sandwich-size bag on this trip.  As I packed, I realized that one bag would not do. (I think sandwiches have become much smaller)  I decided on two, and if it became an issue I would tell the guard that one was Bob's.  I thought we could say that his was the bag with the Aspercreme, but he was on his own if he had to explain to the guard why he needed, "Bliss Gentle Scrub," which was also in the bag.   Fortunately, no explanations were necessary.  I did however experience an R-rated pat down which only added more fuel to my anxiety fire!

The good news- this airport has areas called, "Leisure Zones," which include chairs that allow you to nearly lay down!  My goal for three hours has been not to fall asleep and snore--at least too loudly.

On to Dubrovnik!





Comments

  1. I find scarves to be an overnight flight travel necessity. If you don't get a pillow, you can roll it up. No blanket? No problem. And if you're landing before the sun is up but didn't need a jacket for your summer vacation, it's the perfect layer. I love your blog though Aunt Cyn! I am catching up on a few days worth of posts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Joe Montana and the Bloody Weather

Dublin: A Brawl, An Arrest and Pat’s Excellent Adventure!

Air Travel: It’s Every Man (Woman) for Himself!